Morchard Bishop

Morchard Bishop is a village and civil parish in Mid Devon in the English county of Devon. It has a population of 975, and contains a primary school, two churches, and a playing field with tennis court. Notable past residents include Ernest Bevin.

The name Morchard means ''the great wood or forest'' from the Celtic: ''mǭr cę̃d'', Modern Welsh: ''mawr coed''. The affix of 'Bishop' is from its possession by the Bishop of Exeter in 1086.

Morchard Bishop is twinned with Saint-Gatien-des-Bois in Normandy. It has a garage, a post office, a pub called The London Inn, a surgery, a blacksmith and its own woodland. It is about from the market town of Crediton. Community events include: a village pantomime, an allotment association, a ukulele band and football teams. Provided by Wikipedia
Showing 1 - 2 results of 2 for search 'Bishop, Morchard' Refine Results
  1. 1
    by Bishop, Morchard
    Published 1951
    Book
  2. 2
    by Rogers, Samuel, 1763-1855
    Published 1952
    Other Authors: '; ...Bishop, Morchard...
    Book